Policy & Documentation
Macdonald First Aid Course Policy Documentation
Training Course Information
- EFAW training enables a first-aider to give emergency first aid to someone who is injured or becomes ill while at work.
- FAW training includes EFAW and also equips the first-aider to apply first aid to a range of specific injuries and illnesses.
- Employers may also identify some other level or standard of training that is appropriate to their needs.
The findings of the first-aid needs assessment can help employers decide whether their first-aiders should be trained in FAW or EFAW or to some other appropriate standard. HSE Website information can be found here: First Aid at Work: Your Questions Answered.
FAW training courses involve at least 18 hours of training and are run over a minimum of three days.
EFAW training courses involve at least six hours of training and are run over a minimum of one day.
Other appropriate training identified by an employer should have a duration that relates to the syllabus content (as compared with FAW and EFAW). HSE continues to set the syllabus for both FAW and EFAW.
Certificates for the purposes of first aid at work last for three years.
Before their certificates expires, first-aiders will need to undertake a requalification course as appropriate, to obtain another three-year certificate. Once certificates have expired the first aider is no longer considered to be competent to act as a workplace first aider.
Standards of First Aid
- current guidelines published by the Resuscitation Council (UK); and
- the current edition of the first-aid manual of the Voluntary Aid Societies (St John Ambulance, British Red Cross, St Andrew’s First Aid); or
- other published guidelines, provided they are in line with the two above or supported by a responsible body of medical opinion.
Where an employer requires training other than FAW or EFAW qualifications to demonstrate workplace first-aid competence, you should ensure that common elements of the syllabus are taught in accordance with the same guidelines and that there is a sound basis for the way in which any other elements are taught.
Available Upon Request
The list to the right shows the policies and other documentation I can provide via email/telephone request. Please contact me and I will provide the latest version of the documentation you require.
To request any of my documentation, please get in touch
07770 673 657
Reiskmore, Invergordon, IV18